Is there something you want to read that is not owned by Richmond Public Library?
Interlibrary Loans is a service offered in British Columbia where library users can search for and request books from other library systems in the province.
What can I borrow through an Interlibrary Loan?
- Books published more than 12 months ago
What is not available to borrow through Interlibrary Loans?
- Books owned by Richmond Public Library (RPL)
- Books published within the past 12 months
- CDs, DVDs, or Blu-Ray discs
- Reference materials
- High-demand titles (i.e. bestsellers, popular paperbacks, etc.)
If you’re looking for a new book, e-book, CD, or video that is not in RPL’s collection, please submit a Purchase Suggestion.
What do I need to make an Interlibrary Loan request?
- A valid RPL library card
Do I need to pay a fee?
- Any fee the lending library charges
- Overdue fees of $0.50 per day
- $2.00 fee if you don't pick-up an Interlibrary Loan request
Fees will be added to your RPL account.
How can I borrow a book through Interlibrary Loans?
- Search for the book on OutLook OnLine
- Choose the result that has the most owning libraries
- Click “Request This Item”
- Fill out patron request form
- Select pick-up location
- Click “Submit”
*Outlook Online works best in Firefox or Chrome.
What information do I need to provide to request a book through an Interlibrary Loan?
- Your name
- Your library card number
- Your telephone number
- Your email address (optional, to receive notices)
*The expiry date is 90 days from the date of the request. If your request hasn’t been filled by that date, it will be cancelled.
What happens next?
- Books arrive in 3-6 weeks
- RPL will call or email when the book is ready to pick-up
- RPL will hold the book for 1 week
- Check out the book with the card you used to make the Interlibrary Loan request
- Loan period is 3 weeks
- Interlibrary Loan books are non-renewable
Are there limits on Interlibrary Loan requests?
- 5 Interlibrary Loan books checked out per library card at a time
Where can I return an Interlibrary Loan?
- Any RPL branch
- Please return with the pink band on the book.
Need more help with Interlibrary Loans?
Call or visit the Ask Me Desk of any RPL branch or send us an email.
1-on-1 help is currently available at the Brighouse branch. Book a librarian for 1-on-1 Help with library resources.